Kathmandu : At least 31 Taliban fighters have been killed in an attack by Afgan government security forces. According to the Ministry of Defense on Thursday, 15 others were injured in the incident in Nangahar province on Wednesday.
“The Afghan National Defense and Security Forces (ANSF) had earlier received information that a security checkpoint in Quelgho, in the country’s Khogyani district, had been attacked late Wednesday. So the security forces succeeded in thwarting the attackers,” the ministry said in a statement.
The ministry said that ten different types of vehicles were also destroyed during the clash. In this hilly province, similar incidents of large scale clashes have been taking place from time to time for many years. The statement said 13 of the dead were Afghan nationals.
A peace deal was reached between the United States and Taliban militants in Doha in February, calling for peace in Afghanistan. The agreement called for non-violence and for the Taliban to renounce ties with foreign fighters.
But Taliban fighters have not severed international ties, officials said. Since the peace deal was signed, leaders, including Afghan President Mohammad Asraf Ghani, have repeatedly called for an end to the violence.